What is adversity? We all know it's meaning: Adversity: Misfortune;a state of hardship; calamity.
We all know people who have faced adversity and cried, whined and complained to no avail. We also know people who have rallied. Do we ever really give it too much thought unless it's us?
Yesterday I saw something that made me stop and think. In the center of an enormous driveway (Mine) filled with crusher run and little else, there sat a Pansy, it's little head held high, looking to the heavens and taking in the sunshine. I looked closer....Rich had sprayed for weeds a few days earlier and there on the Pansy's face were signs of the killer spray...I sat there and suddenly felt filled with emotion.My first thought was Trina a person in my group who has truly laughed in the face of adversity. Once a heavy smoker she was told to quit before surgery. It was so hard, she gave a day by day blow and I remember how I felt her pain..but there was something far more important to her and that was her health and the love of her family.Every step of the way she has faced adversity with a smile...strained as it was at times...she kept her eye on the prize and now that prize is so close she can feel it. It has become a reality.
Just like the little Pansy she popped her head up through the rock and hardship and said "NO I won't be beat down or run over...I will survive"...Two months ago I probably would have immediately thought of Janet...another flower, who through sickness, hospital visits, being a chauffeur, a nurse and and all around gofer while trying to heal from her own surgeries and then facing the sudden death of her Mother...still had time to worry about the Butterfly Project and still offered me her help with my problems......That, my friends, is a survivor. A person who will keep smiling no matter how much adversity is thrown in her path...She will still grow and hold her pretty face toward the heavens and say "NO, you won't beat me down, I will not be run over and smashed into the ground by the wheels of fate. I WILL survive".
That little flower grows healthier each day, I want to transplant it, but then I realize..it was born into this adversity and it has flourished...to plant it in a safe place could very well take away it's will to survive. Just like I have seen the strength of those in my group who maintain their strong attitude no matter what gets thrown in their way...They keep smiling. Each day when I see that flower, I think of them, I admire them, I applaud them and I smile too.


1 comment:
Kathie....
You have used the gift of your words to paint a picture of magnificen proportions! And knowing Trina and Janet and their trials, I could not agree with you more....I might also add the name of Kathie Meyers to that list of folks that refust to let life get them down....We all would do well to see a pansy coming up through our adverse conditions, and see how tenaciou we can be, with the right attitude!! Continue to bless others with your blog....keep writing!!
Hugs, Kittie
Post a Comment