My Hidden Treasure

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A lesson at the Pond

I believe the world is INSANE, well at least the living creatures that inhabit it.
I was sitting up at the pond this morning in deep meditation...I sensed something looking at me.
I opened my eyes and there stood Clyde.
Let me tell you about Bonnie and Clyde. They are a pair of geese that have returned to this very same pond for 8 years now (didn't think geese lived that long did you?)
I know it's them and in all probability one of them were born here. Geese tend to go to the same breeding place every year and very often it is where they were born. Perhaps Clyde just liked the looks of the place when he first chose his mate. I'll never know.
Each year they come here at this time and Bonnie proceeds to lay her eggs, usually around 10 or 12. I know where she is, but I do not share the intel with ANYONE...Clyde is the one you see, he keeps your eyes away from Bonnies nesting place and he is extremely protective.
I spoke to Clyde this morning: "Hey little buddy, I see you're back. You just never seem to learn huh? Well welcome back my feathered friend, I wish you better luck this year"
He just looked at me...didn't answer...but I didn't think he would. Clyde has always been the strong silent type.
Every year since I first met Bonnie and Clyde they have come here to breed. Every year Bonnie hatches her chicks and brings them out on the pond to show me her brood. I smile at the cute little goslings, but I secretly weep because every year is the same. I will count 10 or 12 then the next day there will be one less, the following day, one less and so on until Bonnie swims with her last surviving chick. No matter how hard both parents protect that chick the day will come when they will swim alone and finally fly away.
Einstein says that Insanity is when we do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. All creatures seem to do that, including humans...therefore we are all INSANE...but if not for trying, where would we be? We would still be eating raw meat and running around naked.
So I sit there and I applaud Bonnie and Clyde, hoping as I'm sure they are that this year will be different, perhaps this year the fox and the owl will leave their babies alone, or at least some of them.
This brought about an awareness in me...I realize I am guilty of losing weight and then putting it back on. Time and time again I repeat the process, I do well and then BANG, something happens. This surgery is not a lobotomy , so the same process can take place again if I am not mindful. The winter brought me a few extra pounds...I see Insanity setting in....so like Bonnie, I will go forward and make every effort to change the end result this time....
Even geese can teach us...we just have to be willing to learn.

No comments: