Sorry I haven't been around for a while but I've been having my head examined.
We all know that surgery is just a tool to help us not only in losing weight but in keeping it off.
However it is not the only tool we should use. In fact, few people succeed on this journey who do not incorporate the use of other tools. Of course I can only speak from facts I know to be true and my own experience , so let me list some of the tools you should also use as help aides.
A Journal: I've kept one for most of my life. Expressing feelings, a thought for the day, and happenings. I have one just for my surgery and all the experiences that followed...most of which I have shared here. If you have never kept a Journal, now would be a good time to start. Those that are obsessive will not only write down everything they eat, but will also include the nutritional info..I don't, I just keep check on what I intake, I also express a feel regarding the success of the day. It always helps to be able to look back and see what you've done right or wrong.
A small plate: Smaller portions tend to look lost on a large plate, giving you the "visual" idea that you are not eating enough. Using a small plate keeps it all in proportion in your minds eye.
A small fork: A friend had a set made for me and I use it to this day. You will find that by picking up a tiny piece of anything on a regular size fork, it looks out of balance. You will tend to eat more as well as faster by using regular size utensils...again it's all visual.
Gem's on my window sill LOL or pennies: Put 8 pennies to the right of your windowsill , as you finish an 8oz glass of water move a penny to the left...It is a good visual indicator as to how you are doing with your fluid intake for the day.
Measure cups and scale: In the beginning you may want to get a visual on what 1/2 cup looks like on that small plate, what 6 oz of protein looks like etc. After a while it all comes naturally...but if you do this for a while you will know you are getting just the right amount of food at each meal.
Protein and protein Bars: there will be days you may need extra protein. having these on handy will assure you that you have what you need and you won't be going off track (they make a good snack as well)
If you don't have a piece of exercise equipment in your house. walking shoes are a good investment..Take a 15 min. walk each day, just to clear your head and get in some exercise...You'll find , in time, that you increase that walk to 30, 45 min. or an hour, just because it feels so good.
There are many tools we learn to use along the way. But these are ones that are helpful to everyone on this Journey. Of course one of the biggest tools you should make use of is the meetings and the on-line help group. Staying connected is so important to success...and that's a FACT.
We are all there to help...sometimes 10 different answers do not help but rather confuse, but you will learn to take what you need and leave the rest.


No comments:
Post a Comment