My Hidden Treasure

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Stress and eating

Every once in a while old habits try very hard to work their way back into my life. With winter here of course there is less sunshine, which has an affect on every one. Then we have the holidays. That always adds to the stress of every day life.
This is a time when exercise seems to slow down. I do not get a chance to walk as far as I'd like or do other things that burn calories. I find that the refrigerator calls my name more often and I heed the call. What is good, is that there is nothing in my refrigerator that I can't eat. It is filled with veggies and fruit and yogurt, my cabinets have low calorie snacks. I do keep some zucchini bread frozen in the freezer just in case of unexpected company. I make Small loaves deliberately so when the friends are gone, so is the bread.
So what am I trying to say....BE PREPARED...I am not different that anyone else. I react to stress and anxiety and depression the same way everyone else does...comfort foods. I KNOW when anxiety hits I will NOT make the best choices, so I PREPARE by not having old comfort food standing by....Now I know those of you with kids and husbands are sitting there saying "That's impossible for me". It certainly is not. Kids do not NEED junk food, it is there by choice...Your choice to placate the whims of children who do not know any better. Let us not forget about the war on childhood obesity. They have 100 calorie snack packs of cookies and chips, if they have to have junk, give them junk that is at least portion controlled and if you need a sweet they are a good alternative for you as well. Husbands are another story, they are grown and you are not their MOMMY, so you may have to actually communicate your needs to them. If they must have chips and candy ask them if they can keep it in the car, the garage, in their tool bin...anywhere that you can't get at it in a weak moment. They have watched you struggle, surely they don't want to see you fall back into old habits.
I have absolutely NO will power, so I depend on others to keep me strong by not making things available to me. Do I slip every so often...Yes I do and I am not the slightest bit guilty about it.
I have indeed has a small piece of BD cake, pumpkin pie, a piece of chocolate...It was planned and I enjoyed it. Anyone that says one piece of pie or BD cake added 150 pounds to their frame is full of crap. NOTHING in moderation is fattening. Is it the best choice...Hell no!! If you can't stop at a small piece, don't even go there. You know what your weakness is, so why test yourself. On the other hand, don't beat yourself to death over a small slip, deal with it and move on. Nothing will send you into the kitchen and to your best friend (the refrigerator) faster then guilt.
There are some people who have gained back some of what they lost, they fall into depression and feel badly about themselves...it is very hard to boost the spirits of a depressed person.But if you are one of those, get reconnected, better yet call me. We all slip and fall, it is staying down that is a danger. Don't let that little gain turn into a big one...you've been there and done that...you had surgery to prevent that from happening again. Hold on to the excitement that you once felt as weight fell off you..it can happen again. DON"T THROW IN THE TOWEL. We are all much stronger then we give ourselves credit for.
Tis the season to plan......

No comments: