My Hidden Treasure

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Stupid is as Stupid does.....

That would be me....
Monday morning I had a lot of racing around to do in order to be at the doc for a Synvisc shot (an hour drive). When I went up to the Peacock house I found a dead pea chick in the middle of the floor. Some may remember my story about Diana and her dedication to becoming a Mom. She has never lost hope and this season seemed to be the charm (male is finally of age). I am always up set at seeing anything die, but I was up set over this for many reasons. I quickly threw the other birds out because I thought I detected a little peep coming from under Diana.
Rich and I discussed building a cage around Diana in order to protect her. As we drove to the Doctor we made plans and discussed what we'd need. In the back of my mind was my fear for Rich that he would over do it.....Oh the hidden stresses that life can deal out at times.

Of course I was told the usual, go home and ice the leg, elevate it and no activity for a week...Yup, like that is going to happen.
Once home we took to task the project of building a cage. I will have to post a pic here because I'm pretty proud of the finished result. There was a lot of twisting and odd movements to be able to duck under perches and around structures. I kept a close eye on Rich for any sign of fatigue or shortness of breath...I did most of the twisting and turning and heavy lifting (there wasn't too much of that anyway) Rich manned the screw gun and saw.
I realized the sun had changed and finally asked the time...7:45...Oh my time sure does fly when you are having fun. No wonder why I was feeling a bit hungry.
We came in exhausted, had a quick dinner and iced my leg...
Sorry to report it was too little too late...I woke up to a very swollen, painful situation and a trip back to the doc. I will skip the gory details only to say yesterday and today will be spent with leg elevated and not much else...It's what happens when you don't listen to your doctor...or when your love for animals clouds your judgement.
Diana is safe and seems to be much more relaxed...the cage will allow her to raise her chicks, should there be any more and them bring them out into the social atmosphere of the group when they are big enough...Since she always nest in the same place, next year we will just shut the gate to the cage when it's time for chicks to hatch....and what, you might say, does this have to do with WLS? Not a damn thing LOL It's just my life...............Oh and when you think of it, something I would not have been able to do a year ago...so I guess it is related to WLS....

No comments: