My Hidden Treasure

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I'd Do it again

There are many things in life I would not repeat if I had a chance to "do over", but this surgery is something I would do again in a heart beat. It has changed my life so drastically it is like being reborn..It's more then weight loss, it's all about good health, restored energy and diminished pain.
There is a girl in our group, one who had By-pass surgery many years ago. Each time I hear her story my heart breaks. I have no idea why things went wrong for her, but they did, they went terribly wrong and she ended up with many surgeries and a feeding tube. She has had to deal with a great deal of pain. Sure she has lost over 200 pounds but what a horrible way to get there. When I decided to have by-pass surgery and then heard her story, heard another person needing 14 pints of blood..it gave me reason to pause and reflect on the down side of any surgery...Things can and DO go wrong. What really hit home however, is that both people said they would do it all again. Even after all of that, they would still choose surgery for WL.
That screamed at me. I also took into consideration that they both had surgery many years ago...like all surgical techniques, RNY has gotten better over the years with far less BAD results.
I was truly blessed with a wonderful surgical outcome...many of my sisters and brothers within the group have had the same outcome as I...in fact we hear more negative outcomes with the band lately then with RNY...that is my observation, not a statistic.
This is no walk in the park. You don't have surgery, melt away and live happily ever after. It is ONE day at a time...remembering a commitment...one day at a time...learning to eat a whole new way, breaking old habits...it is a difficult journey, but one worth taking.
Have I had bad days? You bet I have... I've had times, after eating too fast or too big of a piece that I thought I wanted to die...it didn't last long but for the few minutes the pain was there, it was agonizing....You bear it , you move on and try to be aware not to make the same mistake...but old habits die hard.
Rich saw his cardiologist yesterday. I mentioned the less invasive procedure I had read about where they make a small incision and work through that to make the by-pass connection. We were told they do that in Albany, so that's the next stop.
I have had good luck with laporoscopy surgeries, knee's, gallbladder and now By-pass, so I have a tremendous amount of faith in the technology. Can it be done in Rich's case, is it safe? These are questions that will be answered in time.
We all have to find our own way when it comes to surgeries.The first step is believing in yourself and your abilities and then trusting God and your surgeon. I pray Rich finds the same comfort in his choice that I have.
Once again I thank all of you for your support and prayers......

1 comment:

Chantel said...

You are such an amazing woman!!! I am truly happy for meeting you and having that positiveness in my life :)