My Hidden Treasure

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Disappointment

I would really like to post each day, but I'm doing so well, there really isn't much to say.
I was supposed to see Dr. Strauss this past Wed. but God decided to send a snow storm instead. We got 9" of snow and the plow wasn't hooked up yet so we were sort of stuck here (the story of my life) for those of you who don't know, I live on a mountain with one of the steepest driveways around..Winters are an adventure and I've learned not to make long term plans. Like goes pretty much according to the weather. Not that I mind, when I'm trapped here, I seem to get a great deal done.
I started puree foods yesterday, a few days early, just for dinners. I felt much better after eating 2 oz. of that. Not sure if the thicker REAL food was the key, or if it was in fact the food itself.
Life to me is all based on logic. This is a new tummy so I understand that you don't want to flood it with food it would have to digest. The stomach is about the size of a Walnut, not very big huh?
Baby's stay on baby food while their new stomachs learn what to do and that's pretty much why full liquids are required for 3 weeks, then pureed for 3 weeks more, giving the stomach a chance to heal and learn what to do. Most of the digestion right now takes place in the intestines.
I know how my body feels and felt a need to start pureed foods, I feel better having done so.

I've also observed something strange that I plan to discuss with the Doctor. My blood sugar levels respond to dumping. Dumping Syndrome happens to by-pass patients usually when they over do Carbs or fat...I have done neither, but I do react to the crushed pills. My numbers went up to 175 the other day, but I didn't panic and take insulin. Dumping feels like a flu, cold sweats, sick stomach...just crumby for about 5 minutes then it passes. Within a two hour time frame my numbers returned to normal without diabetic medication. The same thing happened this morning...So I'm seeing obvious evidence that I am no longer a diabetic (the doctor has already said that, but this is just more proof) I still check numbers 3X a day just to keep track.
I also have a hard lump under one incision, not sure if it's just scar tissue but it hurts if I bend and squish it. I'll cover that with Dr. Stauss as well. My energy level continues to increase and every new day is like a new adventure in living. It even amazes me that such a small amount of food satisfies my hunger. I do believe it is harder on people around me to wrap their brains around the small amount of food I eat....but like anything else, you get use to it. I've even gone out to eat several times... Most places are very willing to blend up soup or re whip potatoes with more milk..it's all amazing.
Monday morning I will find out how much weight I have lost so far so come back and check.....
TTFN

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kathy-Hang in there! You are an inspiration! Can't wait to hear how things went at the drs on Monday