I realized after writing yesterday that in all probability a self centered, narcissistic person wouldn't be reading another persons Blog anyway LOL They pretty much feel they are the center of the Universe.
Let me get rid of this thorn; We go out to dinner after our meetings...I absolutely love the fellowship and interesting discussions. However,when in Cooperstown we used to go to this place that was (a) very loud (b) very slow and (c) not all that relaxing for me. I hated getting home at 11 pm. I've got a long drive from Cooperstown, alone on back roads. I mentioned to the group, not all of whom live in Cooperstown, that I'd prefer to eat closer to home..I was basically ignored. One person seemed to have the total say and all followed...that was fine with me, I'd pick something up and go home and share it with my husband. At no time did I ever expect the group to change their habit for me. I resent any one person thinking that I am strong enough or willing enough to change a groups mind as to where they want to eat..As long as they want to eat closer to where I live, I'm happy. If the tide has changed, it isn't because of me, it's because a group of people have found a quiet, comforting place that they enjoy gathering in..which brings me to my second Thorn; I find it insulting when someone will stoop to name calling and malicious gossip in an effort to swing the vote their way. I do not like to see desperation in the eyes of someone I respect and admire for their intelligence. I begin to question myself on what I missed along the way. I don't like being wrong about a person...especially one I've viewed as a friend. I also do not like when I am trying to discuss something and the person looks down their nose at me like I am beneath them and "do not understand" simply because I have not witnessed a particular act.
Understand this: I am a hippie of the 60's, a flower child that still believes all people have a right to believe in what ever brings them peace. I was raised Catholic and for a very long period in my life, thought I wanted to be a Nun (can you even imagine that?) I explored many other religions...not because I was looking for a new one, but because I studied Theology..I belonged to a "Search for God" group...we weren't searching, we were collecting data (which has nothing to do with why I am writing today) The bottom line was I learned to respect other peoples beliefs. There are many lost souls out there, people who NEED to belong to something. Nothing is more disturbing to me then to hear a person call themselves a Christian and then go out of their way to malign another persons faith or belief. I live Christianity I don't preach it. When a group of people have accepted Jesus as their Lord and savior, when they work hard to be productive members of the community...they deserve my respect. I'm not paying the tab for them and they are treating me and others with respect...That's how it should be.
When I say to someone "I am strong and secure in my Faith" I mean exactly that. I couldn't care less if they are...faith is a road you walk alone. I don't care what a person believes in.. He can preach to me all he wants (many have tried). My heart breaks for my Muslim friends..because of a radical group within their religion, they are being frowned upon and persecuted. That has to stop...If i sit back and allow someone to carry tales and speak badly about a group of people I am no better then they are. We need to be mindful of our actions and what we say. Forgiveness begins with us...No matter what tactics a group may use, NO ONE can make you do something you refuse to do...if that be the case then you question yourself, your faith and your religion...not someone else. I have never and will never judge a person by what another person has said or done...I'm old enough and secure enough to make my own judgement calls and I resent anyone who thinks they will sway me with some horrific tale. God gave you free will ,use it to your own satisfaction, not to sway the will of others.
I have a favorite book I very often re read...It tells the tale of a man who thought differently. He dressed different, he spoke about things they didn't always understand but slowly people began to follow him. The more people followed him, the more frightened other people became...After all there is power in numbers and this man was just a common man, from a common back ground so what right did he have to have such power over people.
I understand that story a little more now then I did as a child. There are still people who fear what they don't understand..It is so much easier to dramatise and criticise then to embrace another who believes differently then you do.
Governed by fear, listening to stories caused people to react differently towards this man who was so unlike anyone else of his time, a person with only good in his heart, was maligned because of his beliefs and eventually crucified.
I should hope we have learned something by past mistakes. The story stops here..The seed of hatred will not be planted in this writers heart.
( WLS talks and lessons resume tomorrow LOL)


No comments:
Post a Comment