There seems to be a lot of new people in our group. WE are all filled with questions in the beginning and it seems that most of us have the same ones and the same concerns. Experience has taught me that this journey is very different for each of us, so I can only speak for myself and those who have confided in me (I never use names because I respect peoples privacy)
How do I lose my initial weight? We've all been on every diet known to man. Which one worked for you ? Lets face it, we never had a problem losing, it was keeping it off. So pick something that had worked and do it. That is one rule that is an absolute MUST ...NO Exceptions...so don't whine about it..just do it and put it behind you.
Will I have to exercise? NO but if you do, your weight will come off faster and chances are you will lose more. Walking is recommended and I always suggest to people even if you don't exercise...try and fit some walking it.
Is there a lot of pain. That is up to the individual...Some speak of terrible pain, while others like myself, virtually have none. I try and work with the people I mentor because I feel if you are mentally prepared and totally at peace your surgery goes well. I try to put little subliminal suggestions in during conversations. It is always my desire that people will have the same surgical experience I had...
I do recommend that you have an advocate with you right after surgery (family member or friend) because sometimes the care we get is not always the highest quality (I speak from experience)
Will this change my life? Well DUH!! Of course it will..you will have more energy, you will feel better about yourself...With each new size will come more self esteem. Beware, it can affect relationships and friendships, but keep in mind it their problem not yours.
What about parties and family gatherings? What about them ? There is nothing you can't eat...through this process we learn to make better choices. We eat our protein first and usually there really is no room for much else. I have never been to a party and not been able to make a healthy choice. I have never had a dinner party at my home and not totally enjoyed my company. Life only changes if you let it...
Practice making changes before surgery...Learn to eat slower, take smaller bites...do not drink with your meals..take little walks and change your eating habits when it comes to snacks. Start weeding all the "Bad" food out of your cupboard. Oh you have children? and your point is?
Kids don't need junk..Who is the parent? Obesity among children is at an all time high, don't make your kid a statistic..make better choices for them also.
I think staying close to the group is most important, either on line or in meetings. We are very supportive of each other. Like all families, we don't always agree but we do agree to disagree and move on. There is a great deal of love and support in our group and I think if you stay connected and continue to ask questions you will be thrilled with the end result.


No comments:
Post a Comment