And neither did you...If you are reading this, it's because you know me and you know I don't BS around..I don't use $100 words where $2 ones will do. If you are new to this Blog, you will learn as others have. I speak from my heart. I started this BLOG to help others who have decided on WLS...mostly RNY related. It's purpose is to answer questions as factual as I can, both from what I have researched and from my own experience. I am of a logical mind and question anything that doesn't make sense to me. I have had a colorful and dramatic life..as someone recently said "you've fit 3 lives into a space most only fit one"..I laughed, but I have certainly lived mine to the fullest. On my own terms.
I very often will say in a public forum (I belong to several WL groups) "NOTHING is fattening when eaten properly and in moderation". Someone will always come back with "How can you say NOTHING is fattening...how many calories are in cake?".... REALLY? Does anyone think cake made them fat? What do you do? Eat a whole cake every day? Cake didn't make me fat, not understanding ME and the things that triggered me to make bad choices made me FAT. Lets look at things from 100 calorie perspective: 9 fluid ounces of soda, 1/4 of a 5oz. bagel, 2 cups of strawberries, 3/8ths of a donut, 2 cups of cantaloupe cubes, 4 cups of cherry tomatoes, 2 cups of baby carrots, 3 P-nut Butter Snack crackers..just a small list but I think you can see where I'm coming from. EVERYTHING has calories ...So what type of calories do you think might be a better choice? 100 calories from 2 cups of strawberries or 100 calories from 9 oz of soda. They are both 100 calories, but which one do you think the body will use better, process into more usable nutrition ?
An addict does not become addicted to the one time feeling he gets from a "high". trust me, I'm a child of the 60's that tried it all...ONCE. For the most part I did not like the feeling...oh yes there was one drug that gave me a wonderful euphoric feeling...but life is not 100% euphoric and it is not a feeling I wanted to have all my life. I was lucky, alcohol had no effect on me...it didn't make me happy, it just gave me an ugly taste in my mouth...but food...Oh yes...when I was happy, sad, anxious, bad...seemed like any emotion could be calmed and satisfied with food...it didn't matter if it was cake, ice cream, chocolate or just LOTS of potato salad..the more I ate, the better it seemed I felt...it was MY DRUG of choice...Tell it like it is..we are addicts...we use food as a drug. Addicts use drugs, as alcoholic's use alcohol...to get a feeling that makes us feel good, comfortable, happy...and like any addict, we pay a price. Our price is obesity and just like drugs and alcohol can kill...so can our addiction.
This is a realization that EVERYONE who wants to lose weight, needs to face. Surgery or no surgery...you still have to come to terms with your addiction. Surgery doesn't cure the addiction. Emotions will still require some sort of salve. Be prepared so you can make wise decisions...I am in an emotion state right now...one I knew could perhaps worsen in time and it has...so in my refrig is ice cold water melon, blueberries and cherries, sf ice pops. Yes it all has calories and eaten in abundance it will cause weight gain...but not as fast as a box of cookies or a bag of chips...I've learned to pick my battles and because of my tool I won't over eat any of it.
Yes, when someone has a Birthday I usually do have a small piece of cake...however, most of the time I'm thinking "is this worth giving up my Skinny Cow for?" and in most cases the answer is no, so I take one bite and push my plate aside. It's all about choices...all about attitude changes toward food...so I will continue to state the obvious "Nothing, when eaten properly and in moderation, is fattening".....and I didn't get Fat on cake.


No comments:
Post a Comment