What's wrong with being happy? I have never been bothered by anyone who is happy. In fact one of my doctors has the most beautiful smile and smiles all the time...ALL the time..odd when he is giving you bad news, but also appreciated. I love that man..I can't help but laugh in his office and everyone on his staff agrees, it is a pleasure to go to work in the morning. He shows up during a blizzard (travels from Albany to Delhi) and when people ask him the road is closed "How did you get here?" he just smiles "My road wasn't closed" and goes on about his business.
Some people are just HAPPY. Why does my Happy attitude bother people? I wasn't always happy, but then something happened that changed my life forever, something horrible. Now I could have used that situation to be miserable and angry for the rest of my life...but instead I made a choice, a conscious choice to embrace how precious life truly is, what a gift it is to wake up to a new day, to rejoice at all the good that has happened to me and be thankful for the amount of love that surrounds me.
I am not a Pollyanna as some people think. Do I sugar coat things...absolutely not..but I will try and put a positive spin on a negative event. It's what I do, it's how I survive..If you don't like my survival technique...walk away...how easy is that? Both my brother and I have been told we have an unusual tolerance to most kinds of pain. I believe it is because as children we suffered
excruciating pain as well as fear...We suffered through beatings that drew blood and broke bones, me more so then him because he was sickly and I made every effort to protect him...But in retrospect there is very little pain I have endured as an adult, that can compare to the pain of my childhood.
I strongly resent people coming right out and telling others..."No matter what you hear, this surgery is painful"...isn't that calling me and others like me liars? I am not going to lie or be accused of "sugar coating" because I will not admit to feeling pain. This surgery was NOT painful to me and many others. Yes there was some discomfort in the belly area, but it was short lived and not "PAINFUL", certainly not enough to take pain meds for.
WE are all so very different and that's okay. I sit and read about people complaining of the "terrible pain" after surgery...and people just eat that up..."Oh yes I remember it well", "Oh I know, it was just awful" blah, blah, blah But when I post, simply to let New people know that there is a flip side to that coin...Those that have complained of pain , go up in arms...like I'm calling them a liar. That shoe always seems to hurt when it's on the other foot.
I will always tell people the truth. Sometimes people do not like the truth...well then don't come to me with a question. If you can't deal with a positive attitude and a happy personality, then go find someone who isn't.
Am I always Happy? For the most part , YES. Do I get angry, you bet I do. Do I complain? Yup..
Is everything always "Rosy" in my life? NO my life has it's pain and suffering just like every one else (perhaps that's why I have a low tolerance for whiners) but I choose to look at pain and suffering as a lesson and as a challenge, not something to whine about. If it's broke, fix it...deal with it and move on. Complaining about a situation, IMHO, is like picking at a scab...it will only get worse the more you pick and it will never heal and go away. All my life I have met darkness with light, it was how I survived. I remember as a child, looking at the moon on a crystal clear night...there was just a sliver of light, but I could also see the dark side...just this big black, almost,circle of darkness. I was being punished and sent to bed without dinner and I remember seeing that moon as my life...so very, very dark. But I concentrated on that sliver of light and thought it was so beautiful .Even though most of the moon was dark, it was that sliver of light that illuminated the entire area and allowed me to see the larger dark side...as big as that darkness was, it could not over power that light. My tears stopped and I smiled, bound and determined to be that light and not allow the darkness to over take me or beat me down...It never has.
Like everyone, I have my dark moments, my dark days...but I also have the memory of that moon and the thoughts of that evening. Perhaps everyone should gaze at the sliver of the moon and rejoice in the light. I think the world would be a much better place. I remember too, seeing the full moon not long after...I was spinning around in the moon light and my dad was home (those were always good times) he was laughing at me and asking me why I was so happy. It was hard being so young to find the words. How could I explain that the full moon was a symbol of hope to me, that I was happy because the light took over the dark completely. I don't really remember the words I used but I do remember my Dad laughing with me and saying "That's my girl"...
I choose to be happy...It is one habit I do not need to break. What you choose to focus on in your life is your business. Don't rain on my parade, let me bring my sliver of the moon to the table.
You bring your darkness and let's see who wins....


1 comment:
Kathie....
Your words touched me quite deeply....How I admire your tenacity you found as a child, to focus on the sliver, instead of giving in to the darkness.
Thanks so much for sharing that poignant story with us .....
You amaze me, and I love your zest for life!
Kittie
Post a Comment