My Hidden Treasure

Sunday, March 6, 2011

A week from HELL !!

This past week was like a roller coaster ride into Hell... Monday was spent making arrangements for the animals and getting things ready for a very fast trip down to the Island.
Tuesday- The Barn was left set up, we were on the road by 10 am and it was like Mother Mary was one step ahead "parting the sea". For the first time ever...there was no traffic, no stress connected with the trip. WE got to say good-bye to one of the finest ladies that ever graced this planet. We got to see her family members that we had not seen for a while and celebrate her life through pictures and remembrance. It was beautiful. We had dinner with our children and the Grand kids were absolutely wonderful and very entertaining. I enjoyed being with them and laughing with them. Nights like that are the only reason I miss living on LI. The trip home was as perfect as the trip down.
Wed. I couldn't wait to get down to the barn to see my "kids", I always miss them when I'm gone. They were very happy to see me. Before feeding, I decided I would cut the goats nails, that meant I had to keep them in their stall. The darn latch on the wooden door got stuck and in the process of tending it my boy Jake hit the door and smashed my finger. It blew up and hurt like the dickens so I decided to fore go the nails and just put everyone out, feed and water and then see about my hand. ER here I come, Rich and I are sure it is broken, since it looks like a "Z", Doc in the ER is certain it's broken, xray tech agrees...It's not LOL some capsule thing in the joint ruptured, swollen and black my fingers are tapped together with the hope that the pinkie will work with the finger next to it and not stay out in left field where it seems to want to be. I push it against the other finger and let go...BOING!! back it goes. let's just say , I'm ready for high tea LOL Home I go 4 hours later.
We decide on a simple dinner. I make pizza with flour tortilla's, nice thin crispy crust... Go to take a bite, hot sauce dribbles down and burns the skin off my chin. No kidding, I have no skin there...who knew it was THAT hot.
After dinner, it's peaceful, we are laughing at the TV (Mike and Molly we recorded) I feel a pinch to my heart..get up, get antacid...maybe that pizza was simple but perhaps not a good idea.
The pain gets stronger...then beyond strong...Rich asks whats wrong? I can't speak, pain has taken my breath away...My God I think...I'm going to die...my heart is going to stop beating...how much pain can it endure before it stops? I've never felt anything like this and I'm scared. I collapse...Rich calls 911, gives me asprin to chew, crew is on the way...pain begins to subside and I beg Rich to call them back...I don't want to bother them on this cold night...
Rich tells me I am a terrible color and I'm going to ER. He looks out the front and sees that the ambulance is stuck on the driveway. I tell him to go help them...I'm okay.
He returns with one EMT who tends to me and says we have to get to a hospital NOW!! Into the truck we go and meet another EMT walking the driveway with equipment. For anyone who has seen my driveway, you can appreciate the effort that was being made to save me.
AS we reach the ambulance, which is now back out on the road they get me from truck to truck as another ambulance pulls up with a trailer and ATV's. they were certainly bound and determined to get to me...Kind of gives you a good feeling inside. The road was bumpy and the gurney was moving in spite of the brakes, but the paramedic on board managed to set a line and put nitro under my tongue. Bless his heart... I won't go into the details of the next day and a half, only to say that I was admitted to the hospital and I now can say, not every hospital is like Cooperstown. They should hang their head in shame.... Delaware Valley Hosp. doesn't have nearly all the advantages (or the money) that Cooperstown does, but the hospital is immaculate, the staff is friendly and caring and you don't have to ASK for anything much less beg...water was refreshed ever hour or so and someone was always checking to be sure my needs were met. At the end of my stay I was thanked for being an excellent patient...I told them it was easy when I was dealing with an excellent , professional staff. Once home I had to make follow up appointments with cardiologist and orthopedist ...This isn't over for me.
Saturday my morning started with a phone call...my dear friend Janet's Mom had passed away. She had been doing so well. I only spoke to Janet 12 hours earlier and things were looking up.....
Every minute seems to change the course of a day. This past week began with funeral preparation and now ends the same way
I am very happy to be alive but I grieve for my friend. She is a strong person...a loving caring person who deserves better then what life has thrown at her over the past few months.....
If you read between the lines, you will see I have a great deal to be thankful for. So in spite of this week from HELL I am glad to be able to complain about the crappy parts....and rejoice for a life that continues it's journey....Although some of you may not know Janet I pray you find it in your heart to keep her and her family in your prayers...this is only the beginning of a very long, had road.....I'm here Janet, with love and support.....

No comments: