I had a situation happen when I was visiting my family on Long Island. I stopped in a store that caters to Hispanic needs. I love the store, because I love ethnic food.
As I'm standing on line , behind a little old man a woman taps me on the shoulder. I can't hear her because of the loud music and lots of chatter, but her body language tells me she is asking if this is the end of the line. I answer with a smile and say "no, I believe it's back there" and I point 5 people behind me. I turn back to look at the register, wondering why the girl told us to wait...she is just standing there. I see the little old man looking uncomfortable and I turn to see this woman (who asked me about the line) glaring at me saying "Wow" "wow". I politely say "excuse me?" she again says "Wow"... I say to her "I have no idea whats happening here, we are all just waiting for her" and I point to the register. THEN the woman said to me , in a very sarcastic and nasty tone..."She is WAITING for me". I then say , as I politely move back to make room for her "I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking". This idiot turns to me and says "You knew exactly what I said and then you pointed to the BACK"...
You talk about waving a red flag.... I wanted to say "No sweetie, we aren't on a bus" but that would have been what I consider to be a racial remark. The woman was Black.
I was furious, not only do I have friends of every ethnic background imaginable...I have been colorblind my entire life. People are people and I accept them for who they are, not for the color of their skin. I told her she had a crappy attitude and when she tried once again to play the race card (which by the way, everyone seemed appalled by) I told her to "stop it, don't even go there and make a fool out of yourself. You are barking up the wrong tree. " I asked her why she stood there making stupid remarks, when all she had to do was say "excuse me, that checker is waiting for me"...The woman obviously had a chip on her shoulder and for anyone who knows me, they know I do not tolerate chips, especially when racially motivated, I'll knock it right the hell off. Rich was with me and he knows me, poor guy LOL I wouldn't embarrass myself and when I made my last remark and saw all the smiling faces, it became obvious who they thought the idiot was. We noticed she hung back and waited for us to leave...oh did I mention we changed lines :-)
I've lived a lot of years on this plant and I have never had someone feel it necessary to play a race card. I now see how wars begin...some one who sees what they want to see and believes what they want to believe no matter how wrong they are. Then along comes someone like me, willing to knock that chip off and BANG a war begins. That lady will never know how she changed my life, what an impact she made. It is a shame that everyone can't get along, but that's just the way things are. The world is full of idiots like that woman, just looking to make a point...I will no longer be the agent that gives them their stage. If a situation like this ever happens to you...walk away and don't let an idiot like that, no matter what their race, make you think badly of the entire race. The color of your skin doesn't make you an idiot, it's how you perceive the world that does... Now what does this have to do with WL? Under different circumstances I would have gone home and ate myself "Calm"...I didn't...because of retraining my thoughts about food, knowing it wouldn't change that encounter. I just blew off steam and got on with my day....Happy New Year!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment