My Hidden Treasure

Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Reason for the Season

Oh now there's a big debate for ya. What exactly is the reason for the season?
Well, I was always taught it was to celebrate the Birth of Jesus, but then there were those gifts under the tree. My grandmother told me that was to symbolize the "gifts of the 3 wise men"..That kind of made sense. I remember each Christmas as a child, saying to myself "Thank you Wise men!!!" Then there was that pesky evergreen tree...where Jesus was born they had date tree's, so why the evergreen ? Oh and let me tell you, I searched the Bible (our family bible had lots of beautiful pictures) I could not find that Jolly old Elf anywhere. Again with the questions and boy did I get an education. I would need 3 blogs and you would need about 9 hours for me to explain all the different meanings of all the symbols of Christmas.
I never lost my desire to research the true background of this Happy Holiday, and it truly is . People, even in their rush, seem nicer, more polite. They seem to smile more and give more of themselves. Why is that? Why can't we keep that beautiful inner glow all year long?
One thing we do know is that Jesus was not born on the 25th of Dec...so there goes the reason all shot to hell. In fact Dec 25 was the date pagans celebrated Saturnalia..the birth of the Sun god.
Scholars believe Jesus was born April 17th,6 B.C....Does it really matter?
So many customs from so many different parts of the world came together in this huge melting pot... Santa is even a mixture of many men in a similar suit, depending on where you come from. The idea of gift giving is also a mixture of cultural beliefs and the Tree... we won't even go there. I've already explained that the tree, for the most part, has NO religious significance... So why the issue of Christmas tree's, saying Merry Christmas? Because some people just need a cause. Some people just HAVE to make themselves look like bigger A**holes then they really are.
Who cares? It's a beautiful time of year. Do Christians really need a reason to celebrate the birth of Jesus. No, the fact that we do it along with celebrating other traditions all at the same time, isn't hurting anyone...Is it? Why is it so offensive to a small minority? The even bigger question is why is the Majority tolerating it ? If I could have just one 60 sec. spot on national TV, I'd tell the American people "Let go of your Wishbone, grow a damn Backbone and take your country back. WE ARE THE PEOPLE the constitution speaks of and we have the power"...Oh and when all is said and done...Merry Christmas!!!

No comments: