My Hidden Treasure

Saturday, November 20, 2010

A busy time of year

The end of the year is like a roll of toilet paper for me...the closer to the end I get the faster it seems to go.
There is little time these days. Rich is facing two very serious situations and I have a battery of test ahead of me to see why my short term memory seems to be failing me and why I have these dreadful headaches.
In an effort to make life simple it seems to have gotten more complicated. How does that happen? Oh I know...my failure to learn the word "No" puts me into places I don't need to be. I'm learning , but friends will tell you I am an extremely slow learner LOL
My partner and I are planning a Holiday Boutique and that always takes a great deal of effort...just in decorating alone..Then we have all the making, setting up...yikes I'm getting tired just thinking about it. yesterday we moved a huge display cabinet from the garage to the class room...My body is reminding me today that I am not 25 anymore and strong backs are given to the young :-(
Making Christmas gifts has always been my joy, this year is no exception regardless of the lack of time. So many of my friends seem to have given up on this special holiday...They don't decorate any more, no cards, gifts of money instead of home made gift baskets, quilts, sweaters...etc. I think about how uncomplicated they have made their lives, but I just can't do it. Giving is such a part of me, that to stop making and stop sharing would surly signal the end of my days. I don't decorate as much as I once did, but I will always have a tree. The Christmas tree was my fathers favorite part of Christmas, I remember how he would sit and admire it...he said it brought him back to special times of his youth and then he would tell me stories. They were a poor family , didn't have much, but what they had, they shared with others. he always painted such a beautiful picture in my mind. Now I sit and admire my own tree and remember his words...what a fabulous gift he gave me, that stills brings pleasure today.
I love holiday cooking and baking and this year will be like last year...It was easy to make cookies and treats to give to friends, with out having to "try" each one. I kept remembering how hard I worked to get where I am, how hard I still work to maintain where I am....I plan my day and make sure I have things to nibble on that do not contain fat and sugar...
Yes these are busy time, hectic times and time to be very much aware. At least all my shopping is done...Now if I can just finish making...(do I ever finish making? I think not.)

No comments: