While going through the process to have my surgery I heard many people ask about Nsaids...
medications used primarily to treat inflammation, mild to moderate pain and something used quite commonly. I've got a drawer full of these meds, prescribed for shoulder pain, knee pain...just about any place I have arthritis...I've never taken them...Why you ask? I always have good intentions, but I think I fear pills. I grew up in the Thalidomide generation, where woman took pills trusting their doctors...it was a terrible outcome. The pill was for morning sickness and the babies were born minus limbs. I don't know how well medications are studied, not to I know the outcome of long term. So in my head I guess I feel it's better just not to take crap into my body that it wasn't designed to ingest. Silly? Perhaps...I didn't say other people have to feel as I do, I'm simply explaining why I have a problem with pills and why I had no problem when told I would never be able to take Nsaids again, because they cause Ulcers...which evidently, according to Bob , I have.
So know I am faced with this terrible Achilles tendon..referred to as Bursitis ( a severe inflammation of the tendon and fluid build up at the attachment site) It hurts...I don't whine too often, but this hurts...BAD. I think it bothers me more that it never stops hurting, I get no rest..no break from the pain. I can take pain pills but then I can't function properly, so I opt not to take them. Therapy will help, I'm sure, it is aggressive and a bit painful, but I'm sure in time it will help and like most pain...this too will fall into the background of my mind. I concentrate more of my new little baby who needs my attention...My living critters who do not know or care that I'm hurting...although Emma has been more snuggly then usual..perhaps she does know and maybe she feels she can help ease the pain with LOVE.
If you are a person who takes medication for arthritis you need to think long and hard about never being able to take it again. I'm sure some are okay with that...I was. But others may depend on that medication to add quality to their lives. if you are one of those people I suggest you go with the Band or no surgery at all.
One of my students asked me last night " IF you had it to do over and you knew this pain would strike, which surgery would you chose?" My answer was: 'Exactly the one I did, because the Band was not an option for my life style and I needed a tool that I could work with"...When the need to fight the disease of obesity is stronger then any pain you can imagine, the decision comes easy with no regrets. Please look at the pictures posted of our new 'baby"...that's what makes all things bearable.....Those faces, that unconditional love and trust.


No comments:
Post a Comment