My Hidden Treasure

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

101 Years on Earth

I find myself thinking about news I received from a dear friend. Her Mom passed away at the age of 101.
How do I feel about that? I am sad for my friend and her family. It is never easy to lose someone you love no matter how old they are, you want to keep them forever. My friend was a dedicated daughter, her husband and family were also dedicated to "Mom". She was a wonderful woman and very special. Unlike a lot of parents who live with children this lady was a help, she knew when to back off and give her family space, but she was always there when she was needed.
She had a ready smile for visitors and a kind word for everyone she met. The love she had for her family was so obvious in everything she did. Yes, I'm sure they will miss her and for them I feel sympathy and a sense of loss.
For "Mom" I feel joy...It was time for her to move on to a new Journey. She lived long enough to bury friends and loved ones. Long enough to pass on a legacy to all who knew and loved her..heck, she lived long enough to get a letter from the president and gifts from her homeland of Ireland ..How many people do that? How many people live long and happy lives, watching their family grow, children leave and start families of their own, their families grow and start families..How many people see all that and more? Whats more important is how many people do that in relatively good health and retaining most of their marbles ? No doubt that old age took it's toll, but Ellen would have me laughing about the shenanigans "Mom" would pull in the nursing facility she was in (by choice I might add). She was the Mayor of the place, knew everyone, made sure people got what they deserved, spoke up for people too feeble to speak for themselves...Her goodness to her fellow man continued right up to the end. She will be missed by many...I certainly will miss the stories...her passing left a little void in the hearts of everyone that knew her and I am no exception. But I celebrate her long and happy life and with a silent prayer wish her well on her Journey....

No comments: