My visit with Bob went swimmingly well. I always enjoy my time with him. I like a medical professional that "listens" and doesn't believe he has all the answers.
He did notice something in my chart and the only thing we could both come up with was "WOW!!" He saw the results of my endoscopy and said "Your Barrets Esophagus is gone Kath...". Now I believe I explained this before, but that condition is a pre-cancerous situation..that's why they watch it so carefully...so it does not usually "go away"...we knocked around some theories since it was checked and rechecked there is no doubt it was there , we even saw pictures.
The only thing Bob and I could figure, is perhaps because this surgery eliminates acid reflux (stomach acid can only flow down, not up into your throat)...my throat has had a year to heal, a year without constant irritation..What ever the cause..it is one more reason I am a strong advocate of RNY surgery. WL with the use of any tool will cause joint pain to either minimize or go away..that's a no brainer...But RNY does it faster, diabetes also will not go away with the Band, since there is no physiological change to your body. You may become a well adjusted diabetic, but you will still be diabetic...RNY can cure diabetes and now it appears it also benefits Barretts patience.
I have a friend that recently dieted her way into a smaller size, simply because she didn't want to be "the FAT friend" LOL I applaud her efforts, she looks great...but she was also no where close to my size. I believe in WW, I really do...it helped me lose a great deal of weight and there are also people out there who have maintained that weight loss for years...so I know in some cases diet alone can work...Nothing worked for me. This surgery not only changed my life forever , it also saved my life...I truthfully believe that.
Now according to Bob, I face the thought of plastic surgery to remove excess skin. I am really not,nor have I ever been, an image person. I am who I am, take it or leave it. My large arms are preventing me from wearing the proper size cloths so I may consider that. As far as a tummy tuck and body lift...I don't think so. I look good in clothes...who sees me naked? The only one who does, doesn't care and that's all that matters to me.
I am very grateful for this surgery...it has given me a chance to turn back the clock and hopefully add a few years...I say "turn back the clock" only because people, including my Grandchildren tell my I look much younger. I'm very proud of my age, but I have to say, I really am quite flattered when people don't believe me....Yup, this surgery certainly has changed a lot about my life that I'm really enjoying....


No comments:
Post a Comment