My Hidden Treasure

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Bad News Adventure

Got up with the birds (actually I think we beat them this morning) In spite of a planned day in Albany we still have animals to tend to and chores to complete.
We got about a mile from home and realized we had forgotten something...Back we went.
Got half way down the drive way and Rich asked if I had the Cadio Cath disk...up the driveway we went again. probably should have stayed there.
Found the doctor pretty easy but then we were told he was running late in surgery...Rich was able to have some test in the mean time, so that was good.
Finally got to see the Dr. by 4 pm...considering the appointment was for 1...Oh well...
The Doc was Great, very friendly, nice warm smile and firm hand shake. He told Rich he hated to say it but he was not a candidate for the less invasive procedure which is what we had hoped for. He also said Rich had bad circulation which adds to the problem. Not to worry , if the mammary vessel can't be used his radial artery is good. Of course he can't use the right arm and spoil the tattoo (man worry about silly stuff). The long and short of the visit was disappointment, but Rich is tired of the speculation as well as gasping for every breath and feeling like crap. So the surgery is set for Aug.17. Of course I am still collecting data, but he feels that's far enough away and has no desire to travel to Ohio...He and I think differently but this is his call not mine.
We left the Doc with the wind out of our sails but hope full. While trying to get back on the road we came from...what a maze...we were hit by the worst hailstorm I've ever been in and I've been in a few. Some of the hail was the size of Baseballs, most the size of golf balls and marbles...I was waiting for the windshield to break and we were sure we'd have dents in the aftermath.
I finally worked our way out of the maze that is Albany and we stopped for dinner...Things were tense and I could tell Rich was a million miles away.
It is difficult to face any surgery and when you have never been sick it is even scarier. If I could do this for him I would in a heartbeat, not because I'm brave, but because I have faith and an extremely strong will to live. I've always said Attitude is EVERYTHING, the more positive you are the better the outcome...Sorry, but that's my theory and I'm stickin' to it!!!
We finally made it home by 9 pm...It was nice to be greeted by our dogs as if we were returning from a very long adventure...it was also nice to see that out friend had locked up all the animals and all was safe and secure...What a blessing to have friends that seem to jump at every chance to help ease our minds.
This begins a new adventure for both of us..Rich because he has never had surgery and this surgery will be difficult. 4 doctors have told Rich he has a very unique situation that they don't see very often, which only adds to the anxiety. I am extremely worried, both about his surgery as well has his attitude toward it...It is my hope to change what I can into a more positive outlook. being an emotional eater I am concerned. I have done so well on my Journey thus far but I still have a long way to go...I can not allow my emotions to sabotage what I have accomplished thus far and that will be difficult...Not only will it be hard to make good choices at time...but I am sure the strong emotions will make every attempt to throw me into graze mode. I hope knowing all this, being aware of my frailty, will help me hold it together.
I firmly believe that if God brings you to it, he will bring you through it....We will persevere!

No comments: