My Hidden Treasure

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Time for an UPDATE

Well life never seems to get easier, but it sure is interesting.
I won't know anything regarding the endoscopy for a few weeks. Doc said he wanted to take more biopsy but I started bleeding so bad he couldn't see anything. He wanted to know what meds I was taking...For the first time in 30 years I could say NONE...and I'm not allowed aspirin or any product containing aspirin...so that is a mystery.
Ron and I had Rich at the hospital by 6 am..the long and short of the story is, by 11 am Rich was feeling sick (from anxiety and the diabetes) when I spoke to our nurse she said one of the angioplasties was difficult and set everything back, also Dr. Jamal was the only qualified doc there to do angioplasty...Seems that docs can be certified for angiograms but may not be able to perform angioplasty. When she said we still had "several hours" I thought Rich would pass out...he took his option to go home and reschedule. Ron was livid and wanted him to have it done down on the Island where he would have some control. Rich wanted to walk away completely.
I had to calm down before calling our Cardiologist, told the one girl that regardless of whose protocol was what...leaving a diabetic with out food or drink for 12 hours was unacceptable. I went up the chain of command and when I said my husband was ready to cancel everything , there was panic. It seems Rich is scheduled for an angioplasty based on the results of other test he has taken, stints are a possibility as is open heart surgery and not having it done is NOT an option. I also found out that Dr. Jamal has ALL his patients show up at 6 am regardless of their case number. I told them I don't want any narcissistic heart doctor within 10 feet of my husband.
I rescheduled with Dr. Ramon which is the doc that our Cardiologist wanted to begin with.
Rich and I both believe that all things, good and bad, happen for a reason. We are trusting that he was supposed to have Dr. Ramon and I think he is feeling better about the whole issue.
We were sorry that our son took off from work for several days to be here, but we appreciate his concern and I felt better that he was here. He knows a lot more about these things then I do.
So that's the update...we don't know anything more then we did last week. Now he has a whole week ahead to think about this procedure all over again.
We know people live with heart conditions, both our Mothers and fathers had some sort of heart problem and my brother has had 2 quad by-passes...but when it's happening to you and you have never been sick, it can get pretty scary. I think my positive attitude is helping him cope (or perhaps driving him nuts LOL) but as they say...this too shall pass.
So what does all this have to do with a weight loss Journey? Oh if you are asking that question you obviously don't have a weight problem. Stress like this is a killer of will power...over eaters tend to be thrown into a tailspin by frustration and anxiety. It is taken everything I have to convince myself that EATING will not make every problem go away, eating is a temporary fix that will lead to guilt that will lead to more eating. I have to remind myself how hard I've worked and how far I've come. It is because of this weight loss that I am now able to walk hospital hallways (run if I have to), that I have the energy and stamina to fight and be my husband advocate and that I feel strong enough to be his rock for a change (although he will tell you I have always been his rock) So this situation has a great deal to do with my Journey and once again I thank all who have supported me...the struggle continues, but so does the growth and determination.

No comments: