My Hidden Treasure

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Wisdom

I just love conversations that pick my brain and make me think.
Of course, having this surgery, leaves the door wide open for all kinds of questions...Some of them surprise me. Recently, while in conversation regarding this surgery I said a few things that left my friend somewhat amazed. She finally said "I admire you so much for your wisdom, you are so smart"... I laughed because I have always believed that wisdom is something that comes with experience (not necessarily age) and Knowledge (or being "Smart") is something we learn from being taught. She sees it as one in the same.
A great many people have crossed through my life, many with not one but several degree's. Very few had any common sense, but they could mesmerize you with their knowledge of certain subjects. On the other hand I have met those with no more then a high school education that are wise beyond their years. So I am not very impressed by titles or degree's but I am in awe of those who cope with life from a realistic and logical view point.
Very often people can not see things as they are, because they want so desperately to see things the way they feel they SHOULD be.
I hear it said, very often, that "New" surgery people are in "a Honeymoon stage"...giving that person the idea that how they feel will end. I think it is a negative statement and unrealistic. In fact there is a lot said that I think can bring about disaster. The word "Invincible" is used a lot...
Perish the thought of anyone feeling "Invincible". We all like to think we are so very unique...in reality we are, both in how we feel physically after this surgery and how we approach it for the rest of our lives. There is a commonality among Obese people, co morbidity factors, such as bad knee's, High BP, diabetes etc. Low self esteem (for different reasons) there are many ways we are alike...However it is our differences that will make or break us. There are some who will take that word "Honeymoon" and be crushed by the fact that the feeling may end. Perhaps if you NEED someone to say "Good job" ...yeah that's going to end, your celebrity status with friends and relatives will end. You will eventually level off and not lose any more weight...But I hope, for anyone on the melting side that reads this, your feeling of pride, accomplishment and success NEVER , ever ends. I do not feel any different now, then I did 7 months ago...I'm just 100 pounds lighter.Because of that loss my health has improved, I am not in pain and I'm not living on meds...That's a fact!! It's a fact that I realize every day. I did this, it hasn't been easy, if fact it's pretty damn hard...but when I look back at where I was and where I am now...Holy shit!!!
That "honeymoon" isn't going to end. None of us is "Invincible" and I would try hard to discourage anyone that feels that way. You can fail...please note I didn't say the surgery may not work. You are human and you may fail. You may lose the feeling of happiness and excitement that your initial weight loss brings. You may fall back into old habits and eat yourself back into obesity. These are ALL FACTS. I think the trick is to be aware of these facts and work on change NOW while you are still happy with your accomplishments. Life is all about choice...It was your choice to have this surgery, it's your choice to win or lose. Actually when you LOSE you win huh? Point is, there are somethings in life where we really have no choice...things happen, but we do have a choice on how we deal with the things that happen...and there is no right or wrong choice...or we'd have a world full of happy, contented people. You can look at something as being fixable and do it or you can wallow in the misery of not wanting to fix it, by thinking you can't. You can wake up each morning thankful for a new day or you can wake up to a morning filled with more pain and indecision...it's your choice. Does it make me a Pollyanna because I choose to be happy? I don't think so, although some do. I choose to be happy because it beats the alternative. My life is not without pain and sorrow, my life is not without loss and suffering...No life is... I just choose to except it as a natural order, a human factor, something I cannot change.
What hurts me most is knowing that there are people I know, people I care about and people I have yet to meet that will never be able to grasp the concept of the way I live my life...There are also people that I have come across that resent the happiness of others and yet do nothing to make themselves happy...Go figure.
Today was just one of those day of deep thought...but they were thoughts I wanted to share.
If even one person can read what I've written and come away feeling better about themselves...then that makes me very, very happy. We have to strive to make a difference where and when we can.

No comments: