I was hoping to take the reader through the process so one could see it is not an easy road, nor is it a fast journey. It took me 5 months and a few disappointments and I have done it faster then most.
My second visit with Bob did not go as planned. But I did manage to lose the excess weight and move on within two weeks. Thanks to a very accommodating team. My visit with the psychologist went well. My surgeon was replaced by a young female surgeon, who according to those who were around during her residency, has golden hands. I liked her as soon as I met her and from her office I was sent to pre-registration and got a date for Oct 14th.
Shortly after, two days later, I got a call from the nurse in the OR, seems there is a problem with my heart. It is enlarged (most heavy people have this), I have a murmur and prolapse (no surprise there) but the anesthesiologist want me to see a cardiologist. With the Mal practice insurance they pay, who can blame them for being careful. As a patient I'm kind of glad they are so thorough. Unfortunately the appointment they gave me was on the 10th of Oct. The Friday before a holiday week-end and 4 days before my surgery.
Can anyone say "STRESS". Thankfully I whined to my support group and one of my Guardian Angels there made all the right connections and I not only saw the Cardiologist (whom I adored) but I also got an echo cardiogram done in record time and once again I was back on track.
So here I sit, it's a Monday morning at 3 am. A million thoughts running through my head but no doubts. I am sure this is the answer for me to a healthier way of life, I am grateful to have gotten this far and to have found out I'm healthier then I thought LOL I've got my bag packed and my Bariatric Bear in tow....He was given to me by a member of my team and I will hug him when I need to cough. It seems coughing and walking are most important.
I will be in the hospital for 3 or 4 days and if all goes well, I will return home drinking full liquids. meaning creamed soups, protein shakes etc.
AS I said in the beginning, although I did keep a diary, I was not prepared to share this experience at first. Time has gotten away from me, but now that I am at peace with this whole process and happy with my decision, I will continue this blog and I will also be adding pictures along the way so people can see the progress.
I hope if you have gotten this far, you will return every now and then to see how I'm doing. Post comments if you like, ask questions.
Tomorrow morning at 6 am I will arrive at the hospital and my surgery is scheduled for 7:30, all prayers are appreciated.


1 comment:
Oh Kathie
What a journey this has been for you. Thank you for sharing it with us. I have worried and wondered if you had a serious health crisis you were dealing with. My mind wandered to all kinds of nasty possibilities, and I am very relieved that my fears were unfounded, but I do understand the seriousness of what you are facing.
Anyone with half-a-brain knows this is not the easy way out...it's major surgery with all the risks and pain associated with it....what an idiot the person who said that to you is, unfortuneately, we all know that most people do not understand the issues that we obese face, and most thin people think we are obese by choice. I won't get started on the subject of how society addresses us overweight people...you already know.
I have considered doing the lapband surgery too through the years, but, my insurance will not cover it, so I keep plugging away with WW. I have gained and loss many times too, and I guess I have never made the lifestyle changes that are necessary for success long term.
I admire you so much for doing this, and wish you great success. My thoughts and prayers will be with you through it all. Keep us posted on how it's going.
Love and hugs...Barb
Post a Comment