It is June 12th- You may have noticed the dates and times of these entries are very different from the actual dates of appointments. That's because I kept a diary and shared very little with anyone up until this point. Rich of course knows all and is very supportive, but it took a while to mention it to close friends and other members of my family. Why? Because it took a while for me to wrap my mind around the whole concept that I was seeking a surgical answer to a problem that I had always been able to deal with by dieting. I had a lot of questions still unanswered.
The dietitian was a Sweetie and seemed surprised that I knew as much as I did about exchanges, natural sugars, calories etc. Raising a diabetic brother helped.
She went over the post op eating schedule, clear liquids for a week, full-liquids for 2 weeks (creamed soups, puddings..stuff like that) the pureed foods for 2 weeks.This will allow the stomach to get use to the new digestion. That diet stays pretty much the same no matter what surgery you chose.
I left with home work, which was basically setting up a diet plan showing her that I knew the difference between liquid, full liquid and pureed. It also had to be nutritionally sound. Protein is very important, but so is getting in needed fruits and veggies.
I told you there was a lot to learn......


No comments:
Post a Comment